ON THIS WIKI
|This article is about the Wind Mill from IndustrialCraft2. You may be looking for the RedPower 2 Wooden Windmill for the Kinetic Generator.|
|Affected by Gravity||No|
Wind Mills are types of generators that utilize the energy of the wind to produce EU. They are the most unstable and unpredictable type of generators, depending greatly upon both placement and some luck, because when the chunks load there is a random (with minimum and maximum limits) base value for the wind, value which maintains stable as long as the chunks are kept loaded and the Wind Mills are at high (150+) Y levels.
It is advised to dismantle a wind mill with a wrench or electric wrench. Wind mills will drop a Generator when broken with a pickaxe.
In practice, it's possible to have Wind Mills generating 1.5 EU/t or 2.5 EU/t each depending on luck. If isn't raining or thundering that average output (EU/t) won't change significantly (< 10%) as long as the chunks don't unload. Knowing this it's possible through some tries of loading and unloading the chunks with the Wind Mills to get a constant high EU output using chunk loaders.
Each block within a 9x9x7 area around the Wind Mill (which, in this 9x9x7 cuboid, is at XYZ 5, 3, 5, which means only two blocks below are checked) a Wind Mill's effective height lowers by 1. Only Air is allowed; even non-colliding Torches etc. are counted. A Wind Mill doesn't treat the roof of the world as an obstruction.
Wind Mills produce 50% extra EU/t in a thunderstorm, and 20% when it's raining but not in a thunderstorm. If a wind mill produces more than 5 EU/t, it has a chance of breaking. If a wind mill's effective height is no more than 147 (149 not counting the two cables underneath it), it cannot break even during a storm.
- Mystcraft ages can be written with predictable weather patterns, allowing you to safely build as high as y152 (with Eternal Rain or No Weather), assuming you can somehow transdimensionally route the power to your machinery.
- Forestry's Rainmaker can also control the weather on a temporary basis.
For Mindcrack 8.2.3+, Unhinged
- Minimum strength is 0, Maximum is 30.
- Modified every 128 ticks (About 6.4 seconds)
- Chance to increase or decrease by 1.
- 10% chance to increase if current strength is 0 to 20.
- 10% chance to decrease if current strength is 10 to 30.
- Current strength of 0 to 9 have (current strength)% chance to decrease in strength. (E.g. 0 current strength has 0% chance to decrease, 1 = 1% to decrease, ..., 9 = 9%)
- Current strength of 21 to 30 have (30 - current strength)% chance to increase in strength. (E.g. 21 current strength has 9% chance to increase, 22 = 8% to increase, ..., 30 = 0%)
- Calculated every 128 ticks (About 6.4 seconds)
- Minimum power is 0, Maximum is 11.46 (y: 255, obstructions: 0, and thundering),? Maximum safe is 4.98 (y: 147, obstructions: 0, and thundering). Maximum safe, with 2 cables, is 4.98 (y: 149, obstructions: 2, and thundering). Maximum safe, with 2 cables, is y = 191 if you wish to ignore high wind and rain storms.
- Calculation is: power = s * (y - 64 - c) / 750; 's' is Wind Strength, 'y' is Block Height, and 'c' is number of blocks (not including the windmill itself) in a 9x9x7 area around the windmill.
- Power has a 50% (* 1.5) increase if it is thundering, 20% (* 1.2) increase if it is raining.
- If the power is higher than 5, there is a 0% to 0.1292% chance (chance based on power) to change the windmill to a generator and drop 0 to 4 iron ingots.
- At high Y levels without many obstructions the Wind Mills can stop generating energy if there is raining or thundering, although this is an indication that there is a high probability of the Wind Mills to get converted into Generators with thundering.