ON THIS WIKI
|ID Name|| |
|Affected by Gravity||No|
The Nuclear Reactor is a block added by the IndustrialCraft2 mod.
It is a method of generating EU or alternatively Steam via the heating of IC2 Coolant. Building a Nuclear Reactor power generation system is a significant time and resource investment and requires a solid commitment from the Player.
Prior to 1.6
- Reactor Hull: the main reactor chamber is formed by the Nuclear Reactor itself as well as any attached Reactor Chamber. This is where heat is transferred if not drawn away by a component.
- Heat: produced by an Uranium Cell in a reactor. Every tick, the cell will produce heat proportional to the number of cells and Neutron Reflectors next to it. Therefore, placing more cells close together will generate more heat, as will Dual and Quad Uranium Cells.
- Tick: occurs every second. Power and heat output are calculated once every reactor tick (Not to be confused with game tick).
- Pulse: produced by an Uranium Cells in an active Nuclear Reactor once per tick, generating heat and energy. Additional pulses may occur per cell if there are additional cells or Neutron Reflectors next to one another, generating more energy and improved efficiency.
- Cycle: defined by the amount of time that it takes for a set of new Uranium Cells to deplete inside of a functioning Nuclear Reactor. This is equal to 2 hours 47 minutes and 38 seconds in real time. This time isn't reduced by the number of Pulses applied to an active cell (i.e. a Quad-Uranium Cell won't finish three times faster than a stand alone Cell would).
A freshly placed Nuclear Reactor has an internal GUI that can be accessed by Right-clicking on the Reactor. Initially, there will only be 3 columns of 6, each space accepting a single component. The GUI will gain another column of internal space for each Reactor Chamber attached, allowing for bigger builds.
At a minimum, the reactor requires one Uranium Cell and one Heat Vent side by side in the GUI in order to produce any energy. The reactor block or one of its attached chambers must also be in direct contact with a Redstone signal, such as a lever. Once powered, the Uranium Cell inside will begin to produce EU and heat, the former of which should be wired off to an energy storage network, while the heat is dissipated via the vent. In this mode, the Reactor operates at 50% of its potential.
A more advanced method of using the Nuclear Reactor entails building a reactor with all six chambers attached, several Reactor Pressure Vessels, IC2 Coolant, Liquid Heat Exchangers, a Steam Generator, Kinetic Steam Generators, and a Condenser.
Handling an Uranium Cell, a Fuel Rod or Pellets of RTG Fuel without proper protection is very ill advised due to the fact that the radiation poisons the Player's health and will continue doing so  until the items are droped or inserted in a chest. Wearing a Hazmat Suit consisting of a Scuba Helmet, Hazmat Suit, Hazmat Suit Leggings and Rubber Boots is mandatory to handle those items. The offending items can be stored in a Containment Box.
As mentioned above, Reactors produce heat. If said heat isn't properly removed from the reactor while it is active, then the internal temperature will reach a critical point (100%) causing the Reactor to blow-up making significant damage to the surrounding world. Keeping a reactor running with a neutral (the reactor vents as much heat as it produces) or a heat deficit state (the reactor can vent more heat than is being produced) are the best two options available to avoid this, easily done by adding a few extra cooling elements to the GUI.
The IC2 Hot Coolant that is pulled from a Reactor, is very hot. When running a heat reactor, if at any point the GUI shows that there is no blue coolant present in the reactor but only hot coolant, then do not break open the pressure vessel cube as the hot coolant will escape, and could set the Player on fire.
The IndustrialCraft Reactor Planner v3  is a Java web application that simulates the behavior of the Nuclear Reactor. It provides a means to develop and test reactor designs without the risks of explosion, and provides instant results over what might be possible in a Creative world.
UsageNuclear Reactor can be used to craft the following items:
- Advanced Circuit can be substituted with Advanced Control Circuit.
- The radiation could kill a Player even with a normal 10 second duration, the radiation duration is proportional to the time the radioactive material is held without protection.
- The Reactor Planner is out of date with regards to GregTech, any designs including Thorium or Plutonium are not accurately simulated. In addition to this, the planner does not reflect the changes to EU generation while using a standard reactor set-up without a pressure chamber. The heat generation simulations however are close enough to use as a guide to see where components may melt, or if the reactor can make a full cycle without having to be shut down to cool.